I guess an introduction is in order. I'm Katherine, 25 and healthy.
Except for that diabetes thing.
And that thyroid thing.
But other than that, I'm pretty low-maintenence.
I'm also a medical laboratory technologist. Funny thing: in school, I never quite got an academic grasp on the physiology of diabetes. Go figure. I feel like my life is a giant biochem test right now, and I'm cramming an hour before the test. PS. I hated biochem. I know you feel me.
You should know I'm not insulin dependent. Yet. I'm maintaining glycemic control with Metformin. For now.
Yet. For now. Unkown. Known.
The unknowns in my life far outnumber the knowns.
This time one year ago, my unknowns were exciting ones. My goals for 2012 were big. New shift: check. Kids: that'd be pretty sweet. Turning 25: eesh, but in a cool way.
That's really where this begins. Turning 25 does crazy things to a person; quarter-life-crisis and all that. (I blame John Mayer.) I decided to get myself hooked up with a primary care physician for the first time ever and have a physical. No big.
Siiike.
My fasting blood glucose was high. No big, I probably suck at fasting. We'll just re-test and it'll be a-ok.
Siiike.
Still high. Pre-diabetes. Your BMI is 21.3 and you have a history of autoimmune disease? This does not bode well. Eat greener and sweat more.
Check and check. I joined a gym, people! I'll just enjoy my denial a little more over the summer, no big.
Siiike.
My denial cost me an extra point on my A1C. FYI: A1Cs are scored like putt-putt. I hit a 7 on a par 5. (Incidentally, this is a typical round of putt-putt for me, so good luck if we ever play girls vs. boys or some shit like that.)
Well, you're doing "ok" on Metformin, but you pee all the time and have tingly feet. Go hook up with a specialist. Aaaaand your thyroid is making you act like a crazy person.
Which brings us to today. Monday. Still waiting on labs, but the preliminary report is no bueno. (Side note: thanks to Mix101.5 for playing Daniel Powter's "Bad Day" at 0530 on a Monday. Way to really kick off the week, guys.)
...you sing a sad song just to turn it around
No comments:
Post a Comment