Tuesday, April 23, 2013

temptation

I don't take mealtime insulin just yet, so the only way to avoid high blood sugars is to eat accordingly. This means limiting my carb intake; something that is easier said than done. Especially in the face of temptation.

Take this weekend: my family went out to dinner to celebrate my sister passing her mock-boards and deciding not to study any more, ever. <--just for the night, right, sis?
I ordered a crab cake, asparagus, and grilled veggies, and split rolls with my sister.
THEN the server tells us that it's free dessert night, and everyone gets a piece of cake!


Free what?
 FREE CAKE.

FREE CHOCOLATE FRICKIN FUDGE CAKE.

To box it up or to spike? That is the question.
PS. I split it, boxed half, AND spiked. The trifecta.

Another example:
This week is Medical Laboratory Professionals week.

My expectation of Lab Week. Hope springs eternal.
This means that our vendors and pathologists provide meals for the lab during the week. (Or it means that your lab is cheap and lab employees provide their own potlucks.) <--our lab is 50/50 this year.

This morning was free breakfast. I take an early break. The only breakfast set up at that point was bagels, and like I said, we're cheap so I figured that would be it. I took half a bagel and also ate the canteloupe from home, but only because it was the last serving and I have to get this canteloupe out of my house.

No sooner do I finish my meal than a vendor shows up late, bearing chick-fil-a. Hash browns. Chicken biscuits. Smelling like all my wildest dreams.
I can't bolus for this, so I'll enjoy it the only way I know how.
Scratch that. My wildest dreams would smell like Channing Tatum's ab sweat.
Anyway, what is this bad timing? I would have foregone the bagel and thrown out the canteloupe to have a chicken biscuit. As it is, I certainly can't enjoy chick-fil-a ON TOP of my breakfast without a jog around the building...

Which may explain why there is a chick-fil-a chicken biscuit hiding in my locker :)

No comments:

Post a Comment