Wednesday, February 6, 2013

why can't my honeymoon be in the tropics?

Yesterday I met my diabetes specialist, Dr. O.  He reminds me of a friend's dad, so there's a win for the trust side.  That's normal, right?

It was my lunchtime when I checked in, and I hadn't eaten in 4+ hours.  My blood sugar was 65 so I got to drink an apple juice and sit in the exam room where I waited for close to an hour.  I was in the throes of hypoglycemia and talking out of my ass (Eric came along - I wasn't talking to myself).  I made some joke about eating TWO cheeseburgers (?) and lost it, but luckily sobered up before meeting the doc.  Am I the only one who gets wacky nervous at doctors' offices?

Dr. O was very reassuring right from the get-go and even offered to take me on as a thyroid patient as well, so I don't have to pay separate $50 specialist copays. I guess that's the good thing about having two endocrine disorders - one doctor can treat them simultaneously. 

He described my situation as the "honeymoon phase".  Basically my pancreas is still making some insulin but eventually my islet cells will be completely destroyed.  There's no telling how long before that happens - it could be weeks, months, a couple years.  I mean, I've been married for three years and still feel like we're on a honeymoon :) Aww, I know right?

That being the case, Dr. O started me on a basal insulin injection.  This will serve as the background insulin that a healthy pancreas is able to put out constantly.  For now, my pancreas should be working enough to secrete meal-time insulin.  The goal is that the injection will help take some of the strain off my poor dying pancreas and (hopefully) prolong its function a little longer.  If I'm on the honeymoon, this first injection is like marriage counseling before the divorce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment