Thursday, February 7, 2013

the skinny

Weight is something most girls are conscious of, usually because they're looking to get rid of some.  For that reason alone, I hate to complain about losing weight. 

In my adult life, I was smallest right before my wedding at 115 pounds.  I thought it was a combination of stress and the desire to look good in a wedding dress, but in reality I looked sickly.  Turns out, I WAS sick - with raging thyroid disease. 

Controlling my thyroid hormones got my weight back in check, and then eating like a newlywed (it's a thing, ask every newlywed ever) piled weight back on - up to 130.

Over the 2012 calendar year I dropped 11 pounds.  This time, I owed it to diet, exercise, thyroid recurrence, and dun-dun-DUN diabetes.

In January alone I lost 6 more pounds, bringing me down to 113. 

I say that to say this: I am crazy small right now.  Not like a "hey girl, have you lost weight?" kind of way...more like a "have you heard if Katherine's sick?" kind of way.  My favorite soft, stretchy Gap jeans are now my "fat pants" and I'm wearing jeans from high school.  Only difference is I was heavier in high school and I had dat azz.  My scrub pants are falling off - and if you can't keep pants tied up around your waist with a drawstring, you have a problem.  Maybe saddest of all, I've lost noticeable weight in my -ahem- chest, which didn't have that much to give. 

The difference between now-me and pre-wedding-me is confidence.  I've got muscle this time around - like muscle you can actually see.  That's saying a lot for a girl whose family used to pick on her "spaghetti arms". 

So rather than focus on how much weight I'm losing, I'm excited to go shopping.  <--a girl can always turn it around.  This will be the summer of short shorts.  Maybe even a bikini.  A friend told me my wakeboarding song can still be "Baby Got Back" should I want to finally try wakeboarding at the lake.  I also bought a pair of teal skinny jeans at Loft Outlet, something I couldn't wear 17 pounds ago.  The plus is, they were only $19.99 so I won't feel bad if Iput weight back on (or teal skinny jeans go out of style).

Of course, the nurse at Dr. O's office pointed out a problem of being too skinny: while we were doing a test injection, I pulled up my shirt and asked where on my belly I could poke.  She sighed in the way only soft Southern grandmas can, and said "honey, you hardly have enough fat on you to pinch."

I just pretend I'm Honey Boo Boo when it comes time for my injection.

60 -

No comments:

Post a Comment