My BFF had carb-counting booklets all ready to go along with her matter-of-fact-yet-upbeat attitude. Homegirl is going to be the world's best registered dietician.
My little sister shared love and support in what I can only assume was a heart-warming phone conversation. She called me after. eleven. thirty. PM. on a weeknight. College kids...
My eternally eloquent sister-in-law kept her reaction concise as "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" (her words).
My bikini-wax girl shared that her boss is Type 1. <--yes, I have a bikini-wax girl, and she and my husband are logically neck-and-neck in their intimate knowledge of my dramatic weight loss plus tummy bruising, so there was a legit need to share here.
My father-in-law, a type 2, offered his finger ET-style. All that needed to be said passed between our tender pokey fingers.
My college girlfriend asked how this would affect our plans to start a family, and lovingly offered prayers plus the contact information of her Type 1 friend.
But a lot of times you hear stuff like:
...but you're so skinny!
...do you eat a lot of junk food?
...are you on insulin pills?
I even had a coworker (reminder: medical professional) tell me that "it goes away sometimes" because she knows a girl who had weight loss surgery and her diabetes got better. <--maybe the JDRF should look into this ground-breaking miracle cure?
I'm realizing there are a lot of misconceptions about diabetes. My current struggle is in figuring out how to be the best advocate for diabetes when I hear cringeworthy stuff. I mean, do you smile and nod, letting the misguided carry on on with their good intentions? Do you correct them and risk sounding all preachy? Do you drop it and act super awkward because they just called you skinny and seriously - how awkward is that?
And suddenly everyone has a "bad diabetic" story - you know: that uncle who "didn't take his care of himself" then went all Augustus Gloop at the Golden Corral chocolate wonderfall.
Awkward.
No comments:
Post a Comment